Brief history of Bruntingthorpe
This is a picture of the B47 Stratojet which was stationed at Bruntingthorpe in the late 1950's along with SAC's shield of arms. This aircraft had swept narrow wings which meant it needed a long runway to gain speed and take to the air. When loaded with nuclear warheads additional rockets were used to build speed and get the aircraft airborne... one can only imagine how noisy this must have been... but what a sight!
Read more info on Wikipedia